Thursday, October 12, 2017

Cardinal Innovation Center: #FailForward with "Teched Up" DBQ and DocHub Update



I have dreamt of a "teched up" DBQ for years and over the past two days I have begun to implement it. My first iteration of a "teched up" DBQ uses an appsmash of Google Classroom (to distribute), Google Forms (to collect responses) and DocHub (to mark text and analyze documents). After a few hiccups, students began to embrace the process. Although a few pined for a paper packet, the vast majority dove right in with vigor.



One of the hiccups we encountered was due to a new update to DocHub. Over the years, I have been a big cheerleader for DocHub. I have always wished for better integration with Google Classroom. Well my wish came true. They changed the menu options from one menu to three. One of the menus allows you to attach your marked PDF file straight to an assignment in Google Classroom. SCORE! Instead of saving to Drive and then adding to the assignment to turn in, students can submit marked text/PDF directly.

An update that caught us off guard was that DocHub does not seem to auto save your edits anymore. One student logged out to go to restroom and when they logged back in and tried to reopen with DocHub, all edits were gone. It appears students, who want to finish later or can't finish in one sitting, will have to save to Drive to keep their edits and reopen it from Drive later to continue where they left off. Oh well, we're just going to have to #failforward on that. This also means I am going to have to create some new "how-to" screencasts on the ins and outs of DocHub.

Going forward, my next iteration of the "teched up" DBQ will involve a hyperdoc. A member of my PLN from Texas tweeted me asking about making a hyperdoc to show her how to tech up DBQs. It dawned on me that a hyperdoc may be just what I need to streamline this process. At this point, it's a bit convoluted. I posted two Forms as announcements in Google Classroom for students to submit answers. One of Forms contained a link to the primary source document to be analyzed as well as text marking suggestions. Looking back, putting all of these steps, resources and instructions in one organized hyperdoc distributed via Google Classroom may just be the ticket.

Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment