Friday, August 21, 2020

Use a Second Screen to See Your Students While Sharing Screen in Zoom

 

One of the most common questions I get asked is about how to see my students while sharing my screen on Zoom. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but it is possible. To pull this off, you will need a second screen. If you're not sure how to set up a second screen, please contact me and we can discuss options as it depends on your computer and the input/output ports. 

The way I do it is with an old monitor I had in my home office. This monitor has an HDMI input. My laptop is a MacBook Pro. At Walmart, for $30, I found a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect my monitor to my MacBook. Once connected, I adjusted the display settings to extend my screen.

When my students are in my Zoom meeting, I select Gallery View.  I share my screen and choose Desktop 2. When I share the screen, I can see my students in a column. This column can be stretched horizontally on my laptop's screen. This allows me to see the kids on the laptop and share my "lesson" screen on the monitor. 


What you see above is a countdown timer I displayed for students during some work time. On the laptop, I can see all my students while they are working. 

If you have any questions and would like a follow up, contact me via Gmail or Hangouts at ajuarez@techcoachjuarez.com. If you would like to unsubscribe from this blog, go to bit.ly/tcjinbox.



No comments:

Post a Comment